Yesterday my friend Sarah was over and my mom called.
Me: Hey, Ma, you know what I did? On Sunday we ran out of milk and I’ve been trying to cut out dairy, you know, to help Netanel’s behavior. So I had about a kilo and a half of almonds, and I made almond milk! How cool is that? and now I have the almond meal left over to make cookies. And his gannenet (=pre-school teacher) told me that he’s been exceptional this week – so I think its really working!
Mom: Great, Ayelet. wow, ok.
(from the next room, Sarah: You’re such a Hippie!)
Me, laughing: Mommy, my friend thinks I’m a Hippie cuz I make my own almond milk.
Mom: So what else is new?
Well, I’ve never been a conformist (<– see any non-hippiness yet?) so I decided to go about proving why I can’t be stereotyped.
To those of you who know me well, I know you’re laughing!
Here’s what I came up with:
- I don’t co-sleep (from the hours of 5:30-6am when Yoram takes Yitzchak out of my bed)
- I don’t wear my baby (when I’m holding him) and niether does Yoram.
- I do not nurse in public (if my kid isnt hungry)
- I haven’t breastfed past 2 years old (b/c I caught listeria when Miss O was 22 months old and I was already 13 weeks pregnant and so dehydrated that I couldn’t get out of bed for 2 weeks.)
- I use disposable diapers (when all the cloth is in the wash)
- I trust the doctors and obstetricians (to care for sick people or high risk pregnancies, which is why I choose to have my normal, healthy babies at home)
- I haven’t read Spiritual Midwifery (since last year because we haven’t bought bookshelves yet, so our books are still in boxes)
- I vaccinate my children (for a few things on my own schedule)
- We take medicine when we’re sick (well, my kids think it’s medicine. It’s really raw honey, lemon juice and apple cider vinegar…)
- I use birth control (well, I wont take hormones, but I’ve been charting using the Fertility Awareness Method for 6 years.)
- I don’t live in an eco-friendly house (b/c we’re renting)
- I don’t wear Birkenstocks (I wear Naot – to weddings)
- I don’t wear long, flowy clothing (to bed)
- I trust the labels on all the products in the supermarket (that’s why I mostly buy raw ingredients and make most of our food from scratch)
- I am not a vegetarian (I’ve just barely eaten any meat for months)
- I don’t have my own organic farm (yet)
I don’t homeschool (and no, I haven’t been considering it and researching it since Netanel started school – ok that’s a lie, yes I have!)
I don’t have anything to write here, but I really wanted to get to 20!
- I do not listen to bluegrass and classic rock (b/c these days we’re listening to Sandra Boynton and Uncle Moishe)
And finally, I don’t play guitar, and the first song I didn’t learn was not “Blowin’ in the Wind” (were there enough negatives in there to cancel them all out?
So, do I get a medal or something? 🙂
This entry was posted in Uncategorized
. Bookmark the permalink